Univ.-Prof. Dr. phil. Mark R. H. Gotham
I am a music theorist and composer specialising in computational methods for understanding musical structure. My research develops computer-aided methods to advance what we know about (a wide range of) musical structures, what we can do with that knowledge, and who can access it. Central to much of this is the encoding of human analyses in computer-readable formats. Please see below for links to publications and (open source) code and datasets.
Composition highlights include broadcasts on BBC Radio 3 and national Chinese television, and the debut CD of my compositions – ‘Utrumne est Ornatum’ (REGCD485) – which attracted 5-star reviews.
Earlier in my career, I was a highly active as a performer (singer, multi-instrumentalist, and conductor). Highlights included conducting principal players of the London Symphony Orchestra and Philharmonia Orchestra in contemporary music projects.
I am a committed collaborator, regularly working with students and scholars around the world. Prospective students and collaborators are welcome to reach out at any time.
- 2011–15, King’s College, University of Cambridge, Ph.D. in Music Theory (Newton Trust Scholarship)
- 2008–09, Royal Northern College of Music, MMus in composition (A.H.R.C. scholarship)
- 2005–08, Christ Church, University of Oxford, B.A. Music (First Class, Gibbs prize for the highest score in the subject)
- 2021–, Technische Universität Dortmund (DE), Professor of Music Theory
- 2021–, University of Cambridge (UK), Dept of Computer Science and Technology: Affiliated Lecturer (invited, honorary position)
- 2020–21, Universität des Saarlandes (DE), Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
- 2018–20, Cornell University, ‘Active Learning Initiative’ Fellow; Postdoctoral Associate in Computational Music Theory Pedagogy
- 2016–17 Royal Holloway, University of London (UK), Visiting Lecturer
- 2013–18, University of Cambridge (UK), Faculty of Music (Affiliated Lecturer 2014–18); Churchill College (College Lecturer & Director of Music-Making 2013–18); Murray Edwards College (Director of Music & Director of Studies in Music 2017–18).
- 2010–11, Royal Academy of Music (UK), McCann Research Fellow
- Music theory, analysis, composition
- Computational / digital methods
- Corpus creation and study
- Mathematical modelling
- Publications (ORCID): https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0722-3074
- Publications (Google): https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=list_works&hl=en&user=bA0PEo0AAAAJ
- Code and datasets: https://github.com/MarkGotham
- Open Music Theory Online Textbook, Anthology and Workbook: https://viva.pressbooks.pub/openmusictheory/
- Website for widening access: https://fourscoreandmore.org/
- Compositions (selection): https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Gotham%2C_Mark
- Composition (recordings): https://soundcloud.com/mark-<wbr />gotham